Monday, July 12, 2010

The Ellis M. & Rachel B. Sanders Home, Nauvoo



As we are getting ready for yet another concert this Friday, July 16, I can't help but think of my pioneer forebears. In honor of Pioneer Day coming up, I thought I'd repost this (from an entry I wrote dated 8/18/09):

"My nephew was just in Nauvoo & got to see this, our ancestors' home, where Joseph Smith was protected from the mobs. Rachel B. is the grand-
daughter
of one of our U.S. Constitution Signers, Jacob Broom (Delegate of Delaware)."

Learning about this history, I feel esp. privileged I was able to graduate from Constitution Hall (having played a solo on the violin). I also am grateful to know my brother gave his valedictorian address (ASBYU Pres. under Elder Holland) on none other than our U.S. Constitution. I, in fact, joined the DAR, headquartered from that same bldg under the aforementioned ancestor.

Just as an aside . . . we often get to see G.A.'s, Apostles, & Prophets (& their wives & fam's) riding on carts making their way to our performances. One of my fav's was getting to see Pres. Hinckley holding onto his flying head of white hair as he was whisked thru the tunnel! Wish I had a pic . . . I have always found this talk about Pres. Hinckley's wife's ancestry to be esp. interesting & noteworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment