Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Autumn Leaves


I've been one very busy bee lately!  Not only are we getting ready to perform "Les Mis" at our H.S. this week & next, but I also performed (one of my Mom's fav's I was asked to play) for a Fireside Sunday nite after doing Music & the Spoken Word earlier that morning.
My back's been about to break doing it, tho, b/c I haven't had very much time to exercise.  It's crazy how my schedule gets as a musician!   
A friend on FB asked if I would post more recent pic's.  Since I love the change of leaves (I used to play that song a lot with a friend I performed with out at the hospital/care centers) I thought I'd take advantage of some time I had in between running around (visiting my Mom at the Care Center & then attending 3 hrs of church which I do every Sun.) to take a few pic's.  Latest news is right before General Conference we were given an important announcement.  Not only were we changing buildings, but also getting a new Bishopric.  I'm excited for this change, altho I really loved our Bishop & his wife.  She always sang in the choir (we did the closing number that day & I was grateful I could stand by her to thank her for all of their hard work & love).  He (my Bishop) recently told the Provo Temple Recorder I was "wonderful" when I forgot my recommend & wanted inn!  ;-)
 What was your favorite talk (or talks) at Conference?  Mine were:  #1 #2 #3 #4 etc.  (I loved so many of them).  I recently went back & listened to some old talks by Elder Neal A. Maxwell.  Man, was that guy a GENIUS with words.  I am amazed every time I hear his talks how incredibly powerful a disciple he was in how well he knew life & the Savior.
I was excited to hear the General Priesthood Session talks because of all the references to Joshua 1:9 & 2 Timothy 1:7.  I felt impressed to share this scripture with a friend a year ago at Conference.  I've had interactions with it several times now (thru visiting teaching, attending the Temple, hearing it is in the Patriarchal Blessing of a dear cousin, is the fav scripture of a former visiting teaching partner's daughter I knew well at school & even saw today, etc.) that has helped strengthen my testimony of my own Patriarchal Blessing and the fact that God knows & cares about our lives in a deep, profound way.  I am always amazed at how much the talks pertain to things I have been thinking about right before it.  Things I had even pinned on Pinterest were discussed, such as the Little Prince (my Mother used to read that story to me as a little girl)!  And genealogy, which I have pinned & posted about as well.  Even random thoughts (impressions to pin/post) about the Apostle PeterDavid & Goliaththe 10 Virginsanchoring ourselves to the Rock of our Salvation, &, of course, the Savior.
Speaking of Priesthood Session, during it I like to attend Deseret Book's Ladies Night to get the 1st 100 there door prize.  I had to pick up some books for students in SLC so I ate dinner at the Blue Lemon where we had my Aunt's birthday party last year, and then got in line in the cold (where I met some warm people).  I specifically came to meet this lady (wonderful spirit she has!) and got the added bonus of hearing/meeting this singer.
I was grateful to get to talk with Calee about her Mother's passing from cancer before her marriage in her late 20's (since my Mother is very sick right now ~ has been for many years now, sadly, with dementia/alzheimers ~ & I am still single in my early 40's).  I miss my Mom very much & can relate to Calee's song.  My Mother loved the Mormon Tabernacle Choir very much & definitely "put the music in me" by supporting me in all of my music endeavors, along with my Dad.





Was so happy I got to see Ro again & her daughter, Ginger, last weekend.  I usually see Ro back east in D.C., but she has been flying out quite frequently for her LDS Art engagements lately.  We literally had to meet en route (she was going North & I South) for a quick pit stop 15 min. visit.  (I was racing down for the fireside & could only stop to give her a hug).  I dashed in on the first number & sang on it before playing mine 3rd.  I was very happy because many people paid me compliments on my playing (telling me how amazing it was & that from the very first note they were in heaven).  It doesn't get any better . . .  I had only been able to play it once, too!  That's how busy I have been.  My students continue to progress at an ever excelling rate, which makes me happy.  I thrill to see how well the cellos are learning and how many students like my class.  I even had a bunch hug me & say how much they would miss me over the 2-day Fall Break; that mine was their fav class & part of their day.  Of course, every once in a while you get the ones who think you're mean . . . but that's to be expected, I guess, when you herd over 200 of them & expect them to bring their violins & do their practicing!  Doing my best, however, to be their "fav" . . . and to  learn to love & joy in their music.


Meanwhile, life continues . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment